Wednesday, December 11, 2013

Inventions of the Kebabic Kind

What is this urban legend about Berlin being the birthplace of doner? This is simply not true. I could not believe my ears when I heard of this actually.. Even this article, with its big title admits " [a] club-shaped piece of meat cut by hand from a vertically turning spit goes back more than 100 years in Turkey". Serving it as fast food might have been the invention here, or maybe Berlin was the first major European city to serve the dish in many outlets. Who knows. But the invention of doner (meaning 'it turns' in Turkeze).. I dont think so. Greek gyro, Arabic shawarma, or Armenian tarna (literally means to turn) are all variations of the same idea that were served all over the place in Eastern Europe and Middle East, for a long time. I love the city of Berlin, it's just.. someone needs to set the record straight.